PEARL SIZES: DOES SIZE REALLY MATTER?
How to buy the right size of pearl
Cultured pearls are measured in millimeter sizes, and come in a range of sizes from as small as 1.0mm up to 20.0mm. This guide will help you determine which pearl size is right for you.
Here are a few tips to help you while you read this guide.
- When pearl experts talk about size, they use the high end of the measurement. That means when you ask about an 8.0mm strand of pearls, the assumption is that you’re asking about 7.0-8.0mm, not 8.0-9.0mm.
- Akoya pearls are measured in half-millimeter increments. No other pearl type is measured like this. Freshwater, Tahitian and South Sea pearls are all measured in whole millimeter increments such as 9.0-10.0mm.
- South Sea and Tahitian pearl necklaces are measured exactly, so a necklace listed on our site would typically display measurements like 9.5-11.6mm and so on.
- Keep in mind that pearls have volume, not just diameter. What may seem small to you on a ruler does not always appear so in real life.
- PurePearls.com carries pearls from 6.0-6.5mm up through to the 13.0-14.0mm range; smaller and larger sizes are available upon request.